Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Cake for Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner: My Birthday in Uganda


Yesterday I turned 23 and did not plan on celebrating very much. However, the wonderful people in Uganda did not allow my birthday to pass without making it a wonderful day. Seeing as I just arrived a week ago and do not know many people very well yet I did not expect to have much of a special day. This was fine with me. Birthdays aren’t a huge thing for me so I was just going to go about my day as usual and maybe go out for a piece of chocolate cake at the end of the day. My day turned out to be so special that I felt the need to write an entire blog post just about this day. So all I am going to share this time is what I did yesterday and why I thought it was so special. 

My day started as it usually does with a nice cup of coffee. I drank the coffee as I played a dice game called Zilch with two other friends who are temporarily boarding in the Cornerstone guest house (which is where I live). After Zilch I headed to the market to get some vegetables for dinner. Next I worked out (P90X kickboxing video). After showering I decided I should actually start working for the day since it was already 1pm. I started up my computer but unfortunately I was interrupted by a giant piece of chocolate birthday cake (so sad). Devastated I couldn’t start my work immediately I dug into the delicious piece of cake. This cake was brought to me by the kind hearted people I’ve lived with for only a few days. I was so warmed by their gesture my day had already been made at this point. But it only got better! I ate a small portion of the giant piece and then started working on a few things. Next I was presented with a beautiful handmade birthday card signed by my coworkers with their well wishes inside. I was again touched by this simple card.
After working on some things and meeting with a few people Dani (my predecessor) and I headed to visit the Lungujja girls home.

Me and the Lungujja girls


I am still making my way to each home for my first visit. The Lungujja girls were very welcoming just as all Ugandan’s I’ve meet so far are. We sat and talked with a few of them as the rest gradually arrived home from school (they don’t get off school until 5pm!). Dani told them it was my birthday and one of the girls was so sweet to go off for a few minutes and write me a really beautiful and kind birthday note. She gave me the note along with a gorgeous handmade necklace. The girls in Lungujja make handmade beads out of recycled paper and then make necklaces and bracelets. I put the necklace on immediately and thanked them many times. Then Dani went out and bought sodas for everyone (a very special treat for our kids). We chatted as we enjoyed our sodas. I had a real coca-cola for the first time in a few years and enjoyed every sip. It was also one of our coworker’s birthdays as well so he came by and enjoyed a soda with us.

The girls sang Happy Birthday to us both and Asiimwe and I were pointing at each other every time they sang "you".







My next stop was the movie theater! I meet the two fine gentlemen who bought me cake earlier at the movies and we saw MIB 3. The movie was pretty good. At home later I ate more of my cake and we played Zilch again. Then I talked to both parents on Skype and told them all about my great day. That’s all. In my opinion it was a perfect birthday. I’ve been in this country for one week and I haven’t even known most of these people for a week. The fact that they all went out of their way to do something for me on my birthday whether it was buying me cake or signing my card or wishing me a good day really shows the quality of people I work with. 


I’ve been very welcomed into the community so far and I think my birthday really showcased how welcomed I am here. Everyone goes out of their way to make sure I’m having a good time and that I feel at home.  I felt comfortable in this community within a few days and I think it usually takes much longer than that in the U.S. to feel comfortable in a new group of people. Overall I just wanted to express how thankful I am to this community for taking me into their lives with such kindness. I had an exceptional birthday and it was all due to the kindness of people I hardly know and just met. Also, at the end of the busy day I realized I had basically eaten that piece of cake for breakfast, lunch, and dinner! I didn't mean to but that's what happened. I ate a mango at some point during the day. Cake for all three meals is definitely a good day!

 

Today (the day after my birthday) at our mentor meeting they made me sit in the middle of the circle so they could sing happy birthday. They also "baptized" me with a Ugandan name. My new Ugandan name is Murungi which translates to beautiful. I am happy with their choice.





No comments:

Post a Comment